Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Five Months, Three Weeks.

This is the week that I started writing in my online diary again after Bean was born, and I know why. Seems my kids turn that mystical baby corner right about now, and become happy, flexible little people after spending the first five months of life trying to kill their Mama.

Oh, I'm kiddin'. Sorta.

But Peabody, like Bean, has just finally, in the past week become, dare I say, EASIER. He's developing a little routine, spending more and more hours being happy and chipper and all those good kinds of things. And just now, when I put him down for his nap, AWAKE, and stood by his crib for a minute, he smunched around a little, snuggled his blankets, turned his head back and forth a few times, yawned, blinked, and fell off to sleep.

It was cute, people. And well, EASY.

Did I say he's getting easier?

Mama likes easier.

Yesterday he finally decided to get serious in his endeavors to roll himself from back to front. And now he's doing it over and over again, with ease. There's that lovely word again. So much ease, in fact, that he did it TWICE in the bathtub last night and nearly scared my wits out of me.

When he rolls over on dry land, he quickly props himself up AS FAR AS HE CAN GO on his hands, like he's trying to lift himself up off the ground or something, and he SCREECHES like - AAAAAAA-HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! And smiles his everlovin' little cheeks off. OH, he is a proud, proud little man. And then he drops back down off his hands and reaches them out in front of himself to grasp whatever his little baby-blues can see worth grabbing.

And he's still a little pig. Can you believe he eats at LEAST 2/3rds of a cup of oatmeal (baby oatmeal, of course) per feeding? And on top of that he'll allow me to sneak half a jar of baby fruit or a little mashed banana, too. So he's eating just under a cup of food. THREE TIMES A DAY. I honestly don't know where he puts it all. Where DOES he put it all? And then he nurses, too! Craziness!

Okay so here's how Peabody's days are going lately:

12:30 AM - Wake for a belly full of milkies. Guzzle them down while still half asleep and fall back into bed like sack of cute little potatoes.

5:00 AM - Another belly full of milkies. Guzzle, fall back to bed, this time not quite so potato-ish. Chat with giraffes and birds on mobile. Accidentally fall back to sleep.

7:15 AM - Wake up and squeal with glee. IT'S LIGHT OUTSIDE. SOMEBODY COME GET THE BOY PLEASE! BUT HOLD ON BECAUSE I HAVE TO POOP FIRST. Deliver award-winning smile and major cloud of stinky to all who appear cribside. Giggle when everyone says, "EEEEEEE-YOOOOOOOO. You made stinkies again!"

7:15 - 8:00 AM - Get diaper changed, drink more milkies, snuggle and play with family.

8:00 - Eat vast quantities of oatmeal and fruit then sit in bouncy chair while everybody else eats.

8:30 - More playing. On floor or in exersaucer. Mama cleans up kitchen and does assorted housework.

9:15 - Get sleepy. Start grousing. Turn on waterworks if that becomes necessary. On Wednesday or Fridays, go with Mama to take Bean to school.

9:30 - More milkies and morning nap.

11:15 - SQUEAL everybody back into my room. Get my second or third diaper change and my clothes on and drink some milkies.

11:30 - Playtime. On Wednesdays and Fridays, go with Mama to pick Bean up from school.


12:15 - Hang out while Mama and Bean eat lunch.

12:30 - 2 PM - Play, play, play with Bean and Mama.

2 PM - Bean and I get ready for naps. Diaper change and milkies for me, story for both of us if we can both hold our eyes open. Then we go to bed.

3:45 - CHATTER. Call Mama. COME GET ME! I'm lonely! Get my diaper changed, drink some milkies.

4:00 - 5:30 PM - Play with Mama and Bean.

5:30 - SUPPERTIME! Nom nom nom.

6:00 - Bathtime. Kicky, splashy, play with my ducky. Get snuggled and lotioned and pajama'd.

6:30 - Spend a few minutes in my saucer waiting for my man Daddy to get home. Sit with everybody while they have their dinner.

7:00 - Say goodnight to everybody and take Mama upstairs for my last milkies of the day. Collapse in a heap in my bed. Another great day in the life of Mr. Peabody comes to its happy end.

That's how it's been going for the past few days, anyway. I'm hoping we can stick with this for awhile, 'cause it's working for all of us and I'm starting to feel my sanity creeping back, finally!



Mari said...

Hooray for getting easier! And - that is the cutest picture ever. That smile is killer!

Leigh said...

Ooh, yay for you. I am so pleased that hear that you have got a good little routine going. Hopefully, now that we are back from holiday, I can get a routine going for Sophie.

Melissa said...

Oh, I feel so vindicated! Didn't I tell you that you'd have a new little man about now? And that you'd feel like a new woman about now? :o)
I am SO incredibly very glad that he's turned the corner to E-A-S-Y Street. :o)

Jenn said...

How can you stand all the cuteness in your home?!

Rambling On said...

Megan, He is a real doll. You make beautiful babies. How has almost 6 months passed by already???? Huh? The routine (knock on wood) sounds really great. Here's to hoping it sticks.

Anonymous said...

How can it be that he is getting cuter than the last time I saw a picture of him?? I'm curious - over two weeks later - what his schedule is like now? xoxo Julie

My Lil Family