Monday, March 10, 2008

18 weeks, 3 days - Inside Outside Upside Down

Last night before Al and I went to sleep, we both were resting our hands on the belly and I was able to feel some movement from the outside. Al couldn't feel anything yet. I guess since I can feel kicks and movement from the inside, I'm more sensitized to exactly what I'm feeling for on the outside? I have to admit I felt a little impatient that he couldn't feel it. I kept thinking in my head, "It's RIGHT THERE. You're not trying hard enough!" But again, I suppose it's just easier for me. I feel actual kicks now - or at least small limby-feeling motions vs. just whole body ones. The top of my uterus is now a fraction of an inch above my belly button, so what I feel is higher up now, and coming out from behind the blubber layer right around my midsection. Maybe that's why I can feel more now. Plus, of course, the Peanut just keeps gettin' bigger.

We all three went to the doctor's office Saturday to get Al's ear looked at (finally). He's all set with antibiotics now. The next morning Bean and I both woke up with colds. She's slept fitfully (I surmise by the number of times she's gotten up) the past two nights. This morning she has a really low-grade fever, but I don't think I do. Thanks to the time change, we DID get to sleep in until 8:00 AM which is UNHEARD OF for Bean. Now she is very content to lie next to me in bed staring glassy-eyed at PBSKids and sipping cranberry-pomegranate juice. I have to admit that in addition to be sorry she doesn't feel well, I'm also a little grateful for this respite. Thanks to all the goo running down the back of my throat, my nausea was AWFUL yesterday, even despite frequent applications of the Preggie Pop Drops I bought over the weekend. (Which are delicious, by the way, and do tame nausea a little bit for a short period of time, maybe 15 minutes or so.) OH, and I also bought a "Bella Band" which is apparently the superbest invention and pregnancy wardrobe staple ever invented. I haven't worn it yet, but it does seem like a good idea. It's just a firmly elastic wide band that goes around/under the bump to provide comfy support and coverage, so you can wear non-maternity shirts and your normal pants (unbuttoned) longer. It just looks like you have on a layering tee or tank under your clothes. Mine's white. Maybe I'll try it today.

If I get dressed today.

I've put on more weight, just all of a sudden. I think about 2 more pounds in about a week and a half. I didn't get on the scales for a few days there, and when I finally did again, presto! I'd been eating really well for a week or so, and then last week that kinda fell apart. I was doing great, filling up with fresh fruits and veggies and soup and leaner, healthier protein options, but for some reason I just kinda fell off the wagon again. This week I'll do better. And as long as Bean or I don't end up super sick from this cold, I should be able to get out and walk a few times since the forecast is for temps above 40 starting tomorrow through the end of the week.

This pregnancy is so much like the one with Bean in the weight gain, belly growth and baby movement arenas. If it weren't for the nausea, they'd be exactly the same, really.

Baby's bumping around in there right now. HI PEANUT!

OH, WAIT A MINUTE! I forgot a very important little piece of news! We were driving around this weekend running errands and Peanut came up. Bean faithfully called Peanut "Baby Sister" and we faithfully reminded her "Or Brother!" and she got all quiet. A few minutes later she said, "Wew, I fink I changed my mind. I fink I want a Baby Brother now." And ever since then, for almost 2 whole days now, she's been talking about her Baby Brother. I have no idea why she flip-flopped like that, other than maybe she just got tired of us always correcting her. But it's sortof a relief to me.

Oh, and T - in answer to your question on the last post (just a minute ago!), no actual strangers have rubbed the belly yet. When I'm standing up, the belly just looks kinda fat and round, not pregnant. But it does get rubbed frequently by people who know me, like "Gramma" Terry and Auntie Angie at the diner around the corner and some of the neighbor ladies. And Bean and Daddy of course. They both love to love on the belly and talk to Peanut.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wonder if the reason we didn't feel as sick with our first pregnancies is that we were working? Maybe that kept us so busy that we didn't notice? I only felt VERY MILD nausea when I was pregnant with Riley. I think I may have just been 'on the go' sooo much that it didn't register. Plus with the first baby you get to rest a lot more in your downtime, since there was no big sister to watch over.

I think Bean will adjust very quickly and easily to whichever gender sibling she is presented with. Kids are pretty flexible that way, at least at a young age!

Mari said...

Don't you just love feeling peanut moving around and kicking? It was always my favorite part of being pregnant. I am just praying you start feeling better soon. Nausea can be so draining. If I was near you I would rub your belly (I don't do that to strangers though!) So - Give your belly a rub and say Hi to peanut for me!

Anonymous said...

I can't wait until I can start feeling my little one. I must be having a boy, because first off, the stubborn wee thing was lying completly the wrong way at the scan, and now they are just lazing around in there! Only a boy would do that!! No, actually, this pregnancy just feel so different from Emily, that maybe it is a boy. Only a few more weeks and (hopefully) we can find out for sure!

Lerin said...

That is the only thing I truly love about pregnancy... feeling my little one swimming laps in the amniotic fuid, and knowing I will never be really "alone" for the remainder of the 40 weeks.

Anonymous said...

It must be so cute and turn your insides to mush cuddling with Bean and having her rub your tummy!

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

My Lil Family